The MLB trade deadline madness got underway a day early, as plenty of deals have already gone down before today’s 6 p.m. ET deadline. But as we wait for the final moves, we can look forward to tonight’s slate of games, which features the return of Jacob deGrom to the mound for the first time this season. Plus, there’s a pair of WNBA games you won’t want to miss, and the championship game of The Basketball Tournament with $1 million on the line.
Here’s what I’m watching today.
A quick note: Due to COVID-19, sports schedules are fluid and subject to change.
New York Mets at Washington Nationals
It’s a big day for both of these clubs.
The Mets are expected to bring back their franchise player tonight in Jacob deGrom for his first start of the season. It has come after nearly two injury-stricken seasons for a pitcher who, at his best, is arguably the most unhittable pitcher in baseball. He gives a Mets team that was already a World Series contender another jolt toward a championship.
Meanwhile, the Nationals parted with their franchise player today. Juan Soto, whose name has been in trade rumors for weeks, has been traded to the Padres, along with Josh Bell.
7:05 p.m. ET, SNY/MASN/MLB Network, watch on fuboTV
- Will Mets Ace Jacob deGrom Get the Last Laugh? (Stephanie Apstein)
- Everything You Need to Know Before the MLB Trade Deadline (Tom Verducci)
- Juan Soto Trade Deadline Predictions (SI MLB Staff)
• Phoenix Mercury at Connecticut Sun | The Sun have been playing arguably their best basketball of the season of late but just had a winning streak snapped with an overtime loss to the league-leading Sky. Last year’s regular-season champs have found their stride at the right time, and that’s bad news tonight for a Mercury team in a battle for position in a crowded playoff push. 7 p.m. ET, NBA TV, watch on fuboTV
• Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves | The Braves are trying to keep pace with the Mets at the top of the NL East and made a pair of trades yesterday to bolster their roster for the stretch run. The defending champs have been excellent lately and have kept the heat on the Mets, but the Phillies also look like they are turning a corner after five straight wins. 7:20 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Philadelphia/Bally Sports South, watch on fuboTV
• The Basketball Tournament: Americana For Autism vs. Blue Collar U | The winner of this game gets $1 million. The loser goes home with nothing. It’s high drama at The Basketball Tournament tonight, and both teams full of high-level overseas pros are playing for a good cause. Blue Collar U is a University of Buffalo alumni team that has honored the victims of the mass shooting in Buffalo earlier this year, while Americana for Autism is raising money for autism awareness. 8 p.m. ET, ESPN, watch on fuboTV
Las Vegas Aces at Washington Mystics
The Mystics clinched a playoff berth over the weekend, a major accomplishment for a team coming off a down 2021 season. One key in the team’s resurgence has been the return to form of Elena Delle Donne, who has scored in double figures in 11 straight games and has once again looked the part as one of the league’s best players. Washington could make a statement tonight with a win over the 22–8 Aces, who are still right in the thick of things for the top spot in the league standings.
7 p.m. ET, Facebook
Think we missed something worth watching? Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we should be looking out for and why.
Sports Illustrated may receive compensation for some links to products and services in this article.
Regional restrictions may apply.